JusticeDirect logo

If the defendant you are suing is a corporation, limited liability company, or public entity, you will need to indicate the person or agent authorized for service of process when filling out your SC-100 (Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go To Small Claims Court).

The agent authorized for service is an individual or a corporation that is designated by a business for the purposes of receiving legal documents, such as lawsuits. This agent will also be the service target after you file the lawsuit and need to serve your court papers to the other party. The agent will notify the business owner and be sure that they are aware a lawsuit is filed against them.

Take action, get started on JusticeDirect.com

Finding the agent

All corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships are required by the state of California to have a designated agent for service of process. Finding the agent will depend on the business type that you are suing.

Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Limited Partnerships

If the business you are suing is one of these business types, you can look up the business in bizfile Online by California Secretary of State. Enter the name of the business and it will pull up a record of that business. As part of the search results, you will be able to see information about the company including the designated agent for service of process.

Limited Liability Partnerships, General Partnerships, Associations, other entity types

If the business you are suing is one of these business types, it will not be available in an online search. You will need to fill out and file the Business Entities Records – Order Form to receive information about the business along with the agent information request.

Take action, get started on JusticeDirect.com


The quest for justice is never easy, particularly when it comes to getting your money back. However, thanks to advances in technology, it has become easier. Quest for Justice’s first app, JusticeDirect, is the only app of its kind designed to support people without lawyers resolve their dispute and get their money back, both in and out of court.

The first step to getting money back is through a letter demanding payment from the other party JusticeDirect offers customizable demand letters for free. If the letter demanding payment does not work, then the next step is taking them to court.

JusticeDirect* will guide users every step of the way through the small claims court process by helping them:

  1. Understand the legal process;
  2. Evaluate the pros and cons that come with taking someone to court;
  3. Generate small claims court forms; and,
  4. Avoid common mistakes when filing your forms and serving notice on the other side.

*Currently, JusticeDirect can only help litigants sue in California’s small claims court.

%d bloggers like this: